Wynberg Allen School was founded by a group of friends, Mr. Alfred Powell, Mr. And Mrs. Arthur Foy and Brig. J H Condon who decided to set up a school in Mussoorie. These great people established a school at Jaberkhet along the Tehri Road in 1888.
In 1894, the school was shifted to the present Wynberg Estate from where the seed planted in 1888 really began to take root, blossom and flourish while it grew into the institution the school is today. In 1916 the Society was formed, the object of which was to govern a school that would provide a holistic education to students, based on Protestant Christian principles.
Up to 1926, the entire school was located at the Wynberg Estate but in that year, the senior boys were transferred to the new Henry Allen Memorial School which was built on an adjacent hill on the property known as Bala Hissar. This section became the senior school for Class 7 upwards.
The school is managed by The Wynberg Homes Society, a society registered under the Societies Act of 1860 and under the guidance of the Society the school has continued to flourish and progress and has firmly established itself as an educational institution that ranks among the finest in the country and which continues to develop and improve – true to the school motto –Excelsior.